Thursday, October 2, 2008

The results are in

A big 60% congrats to Tabatha for getting 60% of the movie titles right from yesterday's post. Anon, you raise an interesting question about the whale in 'Moby Dick'; who indeed did they get to play the whale?

I'm sorry to report that the whale isn't listed in the credits, but delighted to find that A.L. Bert Lloyd is listed as the "Lead shantyman (and shanty adviser)". I'm surprised, in hindsight, that my career counsellor at college didn't mention this to me. I played the tin whistle as a child, surely that qualifies me?

On another note, I didn't realise there was a character called Starbuck in the novel (I had a completely unfounded and unthought-out aversion to American Lit in high school so never actually read 'Moby Dick' - how embarassment) so now I'm wondering, is that who the hyper-mega-global pretend-coffee franchise is named after?

Ha! Check this out, from the Starbucks website:

1970s
The first Starbucks opens. The name comes from Herman Melville’s Moby Dick, a classic American novel about the 19th century whaling industry. The seafaring name seems appropriate for a store that imports the world’s finest coffees to the cold, thirsty people of Seattle.


Deary, deary me. I think cold, thirsty people in Seattle or anywhere would be better served drinking their own urine.

No comments: