Friday, March 20, 2009

Kings highlight employment growth area

I just read a review of the Kings of Leon in concert in Sydney. Frankly I don't know why, I'm not a member of the Kings of Leon fan club (in fact I would gleefully throw little lamingtons at them if they tried to pass me on the escalators) but read the review I did and am glad for it.

Why? For two reasons: the reviewer threw in reference to Noiseworks and to "please-everybody mid-paced rock and slightly cheesy vocals" (take that, Kings of Leon); and happened to mention the band came on stage to Carmina Burana.

I like a bit of classical melodrama as much as the next lamington-throwing gal so I popped over to YouTube to spend a few giddy moments re-living the classical melodrama of Carmina Burana:



Watching this clip led me to a few mid-afternoon realisations:

1. Hair styles were inherently more fluffy, thus fun, in the early '90s;

2. The quality of spectacle design at this time was far superior to today (a point John Faulkner has always known);

3. We should all have timpanis at home and use them when we want to reinforce a point: "I want a cup of tea [boom], a soothing cup of [boom]."

4. Writing subtitles for songs with Latin lyrics would be my dream job:

Fate - monstrous
and empty,
you whirling wheel,
stand malevolent,
well-being is vain
and always fades to nothing,
shadowed
and veiled
you plague me too;
now through the game
I bring my bare back
to your villainy.

Mercy! There simply aren't enough 13th century manuscripts written in Ecclesiastical Latin metre being put to music and requiring subtitles these days. I think it's a growth industry, though, and many thanks to the Kings of Leon for bringing it to our attention.

7 comments:

Catastrophe Waitress said...

synth music would be the icing on the latin cake of those lyrics!

Kettle said...

Excellent idea Ms Project! All we need now is to find a former band member of Deep Forest (or, indeed, Kraftwerk) to put our lyrics to a tune and the music world will be ours... muhahaha.

Veronica Darling... said...

Love the Noiseworks quote! It's so true!

Kettle said...

It is, isn't it Veronica D! I'm not sure if "please-everybody mid-paced rock and slightly cheesy vocals" is an industry term, but if it's not it should be!

squib said...

I fell in love with Carmina Burana when I was at High School. I distinctly remember playing it to my friends and saying, 'This is really ace, listen to this.'

They didn't think it rocked at all

Kettle said...

My memory of high school is that everyone loved Rick Astley. Who's cooler now?

squib said...

oh definitely us, Kettle