Sunday, April 18, 2010

Painterly thing-bits

Pointillism - really very silly.

We've just returned from a quick trip to Canberra to see the 'Masterpieces from Paris' exhibition for the last time.

I don't mind a bit of art; in fact some of the nicest afternoons I spent while travelling around Europe were spent in art galleries, especially when it was raining and our tent was wet and we couldn't find a Maccas.

So despite a clear sky and the complete absence of camping gear (wet or otherwise) I found myself at the National Gallery in Canberra on Friday, with at least 15 trillion other people, checking out a truck-load of Gauguins and one or two by that other guy, whatshisname, van Gogh.

My Mum, who is actually a painter and knows many a thing about art, sacrificed three hours of her life to come with me, knowing full well the time would be filled with such un-funny gags as "Pointillism - what's the point?" and "Impressionism - I'm impressed."

Mum, I owe you a beer.

But while my comments may have been inane, they weren't altogether mystifying, unlike those I heard passing between another mother and daughter team. "Look!" said the younger one, "Lean forward, Mum, right up close! You can actually see the canvas under the dots; seriously, the canvas!"

I still can't figure out what else they thought might be there.

19 comments:

Mad Cat Lady said...

"You can actually see the canvas under the dots; seriously, the canvas!" lol - that's gold Kettle

Kettle said...

Maddie I nearly wet my pants when I heard them. Good lord it was funny.

squib said...

"Look!" said the younger one, "Lean forward, Mum, right up close! You can actually see the canvas under the dots; seriously, the canvas!"

If only Rysselberghe had lived to hear them

Kettle said...

He would have nearly wet his pants too, I reckon.

Way to miss the trees AND the forest, eh.

Ramon Insertnamehere said...

Your mum sounds like a saint, Kettle.

Kettle said...

She is, Ramon. A lesser person would have abandoned me at a bus station years ago.

Kanta said...

Kantahanan is the home of every song. The word kantahanan is derived from the tagalog words "Kanta" which means "Song" and "Tahanan" which means "Home".

A Piece said...

A Piece of Idea - Thoughts of a Man, a Blogger, a Webmaster, and a Friend. Learn simple tips from a simple blogger.

Hapi said...

You have a great favicon here. You might want to change that into your own icon. Here is my tip on Favicon and Blogger: How to change favicon in Blogger.I also have this list of Cool Favicons for you to use. Enjoy!

Ramon Insertnamehere said...

Kettle, look!!

Cool Favicons!!!

Kettle said...

Yes yes, Ramon! It's very exciting! I've been wishing for a visit from the favicon fairies and now all my dreams have come true.

A truly, truly monumental faviconian day.

Ramon Insertnamehere said...

All your dreams Kettle?

Even the one about you, David Tennant and the giant vat of custard?

Blimey!

Kettle said...

Gosh, Ramon! I thought for a moment you'd been reading my other blog, my x-rated, David Tennant-related blog, so uncanny was your description of my DT-giant vat of custard dream.

Although, I like to think of that dream as more of a 'sure thing' than a 'dream'. Uh-hm.

squib said...

I think I prefer custard and fish fingers. The new doctor is grouse

Also, way cool steampunk tardis

Kettle said...

I'll give fish fingers and custard a go if you do, Squib.

Kettle said...

PS Squib, I meant that literally, not metaphorically!

squib said...

If it was an audition to be his new assistant, I might try it

Kettle said...

Squib let's pretend it's an audition! Photo evidence required. If you need to re-start your blog in order to post said photos, that's fine.

squib said...

OK, Kettle! I have a tardis zipperobe and a nightie and fish fingers. But wait. No custard. Oh dear, there goes that idea